Confusion at Doctor's Even When It Is in English

Written on Jul 24, 2018
I am sitting at the ortho doctor's office. It is my first time here. I have typed in my name at the sign-in port and am waiting for the receptionist to call my name. "Mar..." is called. Well we are used to not understanding what is being said around us, so "Mar..." is close enough for me. I go to the window. The receptionist asks me if I still live at 684? I have never lived at a 684. I tell her that and she corrects my address. (I am still confused.) Then she takes my medicare and insurance cards and adds in those numbers. Then she asks me if I still have Summit Health Care. I tell her I have never had Summit Health Care. So I finally say, "I think you have me confused with someone else!" She says, "You are Martin, right?" "No, I am not Martin." Right then I hear the other receptionist calling, "Ann". I tell the current receptionist that I think that is my call. The next receptionist immediately asks me my birthdate, which does match. Although I am somewhat to blame for the mix up at not listening carefully enough to what came after "Mar", I still know that the receptionist should have verified my information more thoroughly. I sure hope that the information for "Martin" could be retrieved in the system. I am confused and misstepping even when I am in the US and speaking English. (I currently have a left knee replacement scheduled for Jan. 3. I wonder how the next semester will go with the level of pain that I have right now. But we will work it out.)

PS. For those of you on fb you have seen this post from the morning, but I decided to share it too. The "family lore" is that I have left Rick twice at rest stops and driven 60-90 miles before I have realized he was not sleeping behind me in the RV.

Recent family traveling lore is causing some distress. Yesterday in VA, Rick and I left Hardees while Peace was refilling her coffee. A very few seconds later, a wide eyed, scared Peace came running out of Hardee's saying, "Don't leave me!" haha

Comments

  1. Superheroes pale compared to you two! Thanks for posting. We put in a good word for you regarding your squeaky left knee and also requested the pain be just enough to keep you from sky-diving while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your good word. It is what keeps us going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment