Christmas around the World: Presents

Written on Dec 22, 2018

I was touched when one of the students in our Friday night study group turned to another one of the members and said, “This is the first time anyone has given me a Christmas present.” That is incomprehensible to us in the West, but would be very true within this culture. It was a felt Santa head filled with fruity gummy candy thingeys. She brought one for each of us, which was really thoughtful of her. Rick had 3 English study Books which he was very anxious to give away. He had brought them with the thought of sharing them here. (I think he was also wanting to have an excuse to buy some more to bring back after break.) Last week he had brought them and given them to the 3 students. They were thrilled. We also had 3 Christmas story Chinese/English books to give….but forgot them at the apartment. We will give them in February.

I am reminded how different cultures handle presents. Within Zambian culture, if someone admired a piece of clothing or jewelry, etc., as long as it was not exorbitantly important, you were expected to take the item off and give it to the admirer. I am serious about this. One was always careful about mentioning something. However, I found, I simply could not be as generous as my Zambian brothers and sisters. My things are not really usually important to me, but I could not just take the item and give it away. I needed/wanted my things. But they always knew that although they might be at the giving end sometimes, they also would be at the receiving end at another time.  I know I have a stronger sense of ownership and also did not trust the “system” as thoroughly. I also am simply too selfish. Conviction.

When given a present in Taiwan, one never opens it in front of the giver. You thank them profusely, but then set the present aside until you are alone to open it. I am not sure why this is done. Part of me thinks that it is to save face in case it was a gift that would be disregarded and one cannot cover your reaction sufficiently. They also gave exorbitantly expensive gifts. At times people who were barely friends would show up at the door with a $40 dress for Purity and she was barely a year old! I learned that I would never ever ever be able to outgive a Taiwanese. I just gave up, which I am sure confused many people, but we were considered the poor relative at that point anyway. Haha. Once, when we were offered a motorscooter, I responded, “Oh, don’t you know some poor person who really needs a motor schooter?” (We had one scooter all ready. ) The person stared at me and said, “Ann, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have a scooter!”

So, the etiquette of presents is important. Even if we think of ourselves as not closely attached to this world’s material goods, we still have to pay attention for the sake of those around us. Merry Christmas.

Comments

  1. In Senegal, you could always say: "when this item has a baby brother, I will give it to you. "

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment