Toilet Seats.....Again

Written on Mar 8, 2019
Any of you that have followed the blog for a while know that we had a long string of toilet seat mishaps in Taian when we first moved to China. I posted on FB (March 14, 2017) then and repeated it to the blog on March 16, 2018. (Look it up for a laugh.) Well, I am going to quote an exchange from WeChat, Asian social media, I just had with a friend newly moved to Taian.

Friend: Funny story as we speak...We asked to have some plumbing problems looked at as well as a new toilet seat. The one we have disintegrated, literally. We have the manager and a plumber here, and the manager is worried about leaving us with no toilet seat. Having a challenging time. Convincing him it is OK to take the broken one is a challenge.

Me: Too funny. During our 4 months in Taian we broke our toilet seat 3 times. Truth. What is it with Taian and toilet seats? I think back in my blog somewhere I reprint our toilet seat woes. Strange.

Friend: It was cracked when we first arrived and then Chris slipped on the bathroom floor and the rest was history. As he put his hand down on the lid to put the toilet back in place and that did it in.

Me: We just sat on them....hysterical.

Friend: I know it's going to be a topic to share for years to come.

Me: Yes

Friend: I have also learned to make toast.

Me: Good for you.

Friend: By holding a piece of bread between chopsticks over the stove. So glad I have been an "M" in the past. Innovation is the key.

Me: Haha

Friend: So good to have Chris here to work out all the mechanical kinks so will be good for the next 3.5 months when he leaves. Well, now the manager has run to the store and arrived back with a new toilet seat. And grouting material to seal it better to the floor.  Guess he didn't feel comfortable leaving us without a proper toilet to use. What a blessing that is.

Me: I couldn't imagine doing any of this without Rick. You are brave. I have always found maintenance people in China to be exceptionally prompt and pleasant. Not always efficient, but they come even on a Sunday night.

Delay of a day.

Friend: What was it you said about efficient workers? Now the hot water goes to the toilet instead of the shower, but got a new toilet seat.

(I just thought you might like a little glimpse into what "M's" message about here in China. Haha)




Comments