Poem Written by My Mom When They Thought I Was Dying

Written on Aug 12, 2019

By Helen Morrison
The night we found out Ann was so ill (Sept. 17, 1981), this came to me in a dream and I had to write it. Thank God, He spared her for us all. To be shared only after I’m gone.
God took our daughter today,
Her spirit and soul are a rest.
He holds her in the hollow of His hand.
Her time on earth was blest.
In memory her comforting ways
Her cheery wit, tossing of her head.
Her busy hands to all, she gave her best.
God took our daughter today
To His home above to rest.
We bless His name and all He does,
For His great way is best.
Mary Beth Morrison Our mother was truly a woman of God. She was humble and til the day she died, she did not know what a great woman she truly was. She has been gone 11.5 years now. She would have been 102 if she had lived. Our father died 4 months prior to her. I know that she could not wait to be in his arms again. Our father was truly a great man too. We are so blessed to have 2 parents such as these! They had been married 68 years!


This poem was written by my mother. I did not read it until a decade or more after she wrote it. I had been sent home from Zambia with cancer and the original diagnosis was that I had 3 weeks to 6 months to live. That was 1981. Obviously the diagnosis was wrong.
Who would think that my mom would write poetry (she wrote many, many more). She failed 2 grades in school, and was considered to be much less than academic. But she has always been my inspiration in dealing with struggling children (and in many other areas). She went on to lead an extremely successful, productive, and amazing adult life, no matter what “school” thought of her. My sister in her comment afterwards states it well.
P.S. We fly out of SC tomorrow at 6 a.m. to return to China. Today will be full of packing, biking, cooking to be left behind for the grandkids, and visiting with our son. Prayers are appreciated.

Comments