Falling Off Bike x 2

Written on Nov 24, 2019

Solving transportation issues is always necessary in every culture. We have been so very happy here with our combination of subway and bicycles. Bicycling particularly brings much joy to our lives, as well as physical benefits. However, this week has not been very good.

First Rick was sideswiped by a bike turning in front of him on Thursday night. He fell. At first he was OK, but by bedtime he was quite sore where apparently the handlebar must have poked him in the side of the chest. He has spent a few days in pain, but it has lessened every day and we are encouraged that really he is fine.

Today as I was biking to church, a car hit me. He was slowly turning off a side road and just did not look both ways. Admittedly I was driving down the wrong way on the bike lane, but they are closer to two-way streets and usually you are just as safe going one way as the other. I assumed he saw me, but he just kept coming and his car hit me from the side and I went sprawling right in front of him. He easily stopped and jumped out of the car.

Having fallen a few times here I was prepared for passerbys to try to immediately drag me to my feet and I mumbled, “Man, man’d, Man man’d” which means , “Slowly, slowly” so I could catch my breath and maybe get up on my own. The poor man who was driving the car. I imagined he thought, “I hit someone on their bicycle! Oh no, it is a lady. A foreign lady, An old lady!” and then when I grabbed my cane to stand up he thought, “Oh no, an old, foreign HANDICAPPED lady!” I assured everyone I was OK and continued on to church.

Rick was separated from me because he had to return to the apartment because he forgot his hearing aid and then forgot his glasses, so I could not tell him until I was at church. It was a miserable ride anyway, being 36* F and heavy heavy winds. My pedal is not quite right, but I can manage.  I fell on my bad knee (which is better than falling on my good replaced hip). It feels like it is going to swell, but it is not any thing a few days won’t solve.

We also were told today at church that we will have an additional 3 weeks to try to find a new venue. That is good. However, the big Christmas program which is a tremendous outreach at the Government 3-Self church has not yet been approved by the administration. It is Dec. 6, 7 and the only Christmas program that happens here. Not much to remind us of “Reason for the Season” here.

We are feeling slightly oppressed. I write this so you continue to lift us up. I assure you that we are fine, just old and a little creaky right this minute.

Comments