Road to Indonesia---Beach Trip

Written on Sep 5, 2021

 Hillcrest International School (HIS) has many long standing and important traditions. One of the fun ones is a two night beach trip early in the fall of every school year for the entire high school.  Because of covid no trip transpired last year and the trip this year was only one day.  Last Friday was our Beach Day.  Rick and I went. Just more as warm bodies than anything else.  I had only been at the beach once since coming to Indonesia, although it is an island and surrounded by the Pacific Ocean.  The kids, most of whom grew up here,  obviously were completely at home and in love with the water.  It was only a matter of minutes after we arrived that everyone was out in the waves.  The beach is darker sand and there were intricate lacy patterns built by small sand balls all over it.  I guess a certain type of crab builds tunnels and rolls these little balls of sand out of their holes and somehow place them in these remarkable patterns. (Isn't God just amazing?)  The water was the warmest ocean water I have ever felt. It was honestly lukewarm.  The waves were low so not much boogie boarding, but no one seemed to mind.  We just all floated from group to group and talked and were mesmerized by the sea.  They did call everyone in and played games....although I think the kids really wanted more ocean than games, but they are a compliant bunch and fully participated.  The Science/Math teacher who went to HIS as a student gave a testimony and we all brought  our own lunches. At 3 we headed the 45 mintues home.  I only had some very old suntan lotion which I was not sure was any good, but I can state that it is thoroughly useful, particularly as a one inch strip on the right side of my face at my hairline and down and over my ear obviously somehow did not receive a coating of the suntan lotion and is now very red and painful.  Masks don't feel good on sunburned ears.  We are so so thankful to be here in this beautiful place with these really great kids. I am finding that I am swamped with work, but oh so very much enjoying it. Prayers are appreciated that we can balance everything as Peking University online classes begin on September 13.  I just have no idea how that is going to work out, but God knows.

Comments