Road to Indonesia---Blood Donation

Written on Oct 10, 2021

 I have asked around and may not have this story exactly right, but I will share what little I know. In one of the villages last Sunday, the church was attacked by people from another tribal group with bows and arrows and possibly machetes.  People were killed and at least 8 serious injuries.  MAF flew out 6 of the injured people here to Sentani for medical care.  Two of them were too seriously injured, on oxygen, and could not fly out.  We do not know what their condition is.  An emergency call for blood donations went out. A major need is AB+ blood.  I have AB+ blood and responded that I would gladly donate but I had hepatitis 40+ years ago and thought I could not.  They asked the doctor and he said if it was hep A, I could still donate.  There was also a question if I was too old, but the answer was if I was in good health.  So we went up to school today with a group of missionaries to wait for the Red Cross blood donation workers to arrive. They were delayed and delayed again, but finally arrived an hour and a half late. It turns out neither Rick nor I can donate anyway because I take thyroid meds and Rick takes ADHD medication.  It sounds like some of the victims are in very serious condition. The attack also appears to have been tribal rather than religious motivated, but it shows a bit how the Body of Christ is suppose to work in caring for its members, be it ever so stumbling.  

Comments