Road to Indonesia---Staff Party

Written on Dec 12, 2021


 Just had a lovely staff Christmas party.  The interim director's wife pretty much did the whole thing.  It was such a success with beautiful enchiladas.  Now, you might think that rather strange for a Christmas banquet, but there is no Mexican food here unless we make it ourselves, so it was just wonderful to have enchiladas with all the condiments.  And carrot raisin salad....raisons are not available often. Some people could not come or were late because it was raining and motor scooters are not the best transport in a downpour.  Again, what one does not think of when you are sitting in the US.  Of course it is rain not snow that we are contenting with.  It is 90's most of the day, and humid....have I mentioned that it is always hot? In the picture I am wearing a 3/4 length sleeve. I really questioned if I could walk the quarter mile from my house to the a/c in the school with this length sleeve?  I doubt I have had on long sleeves more than 3 times in 6 months. Did you know it is hot in Indonesia?  There are also only a few Christmas decorations up.  It feels like a break is coming, but I am not sure how Christmasy everything feels? I had my aid put up a tree on one of the bulletin boards, just so we would have something. Then I told the kids they had to give me my Christmas presents by writing on the paperstars and put them on the bulletin board. As my present they were to write something they had learned in my classes this semeseter. Some wrote things I cherish and kind of expected like: " I have learned school is more about gaining knowledge than about getting good grades."  Or "For the first time I understand how to write an essay." But then there also were those like "I learned Napoleon was a good leader."  OK, I am sure they thought this was something I would find edifying.   Next week there are two days of review at school, and then 3 days of finals.  Peking University continues until Dec. 24.  Then we get  2 weeks to sleep and prep for next semester.  

Comments