Road to Rwanda----Being a Street Seller

Written on Feb 5, 2023

 I won't do that again....although it was funny.   Yesterday was the children's fair at school.  I was waiting on the main road by our house for my ride to school. I had a small box with packages of brownie bites that I had made to donate for sale.  I set the box on the ground in front of me.  As people walked by and looked at me and looked at the box, I realized that they thought I probably wanted to sell the brownie bites! Eventually there were 6 or 7 ladies standing in front of me asking me something in Kinyarwanda.  I speak not a word of the local langauge, although I could guess what they were asking.  I laughed and shook my head, but they continued to politely stand in front of me and talk. I finally opened one of the packages and started to hand out the brownie bites. Some readily started to eat them. Some took teeny tiny crumb bites, not sure if they were good. One much older lady with front teeth missing took hers into her hand and then proceeded to hold it out to me and look from her hand to me and back again and talk to me. I thought she was asking for money, not satisfied with the brownie. I kept saying, "No, No," and shooing her away with my hands. Finally a mototaxi driver walked by and told me she was asking how much it cost. I laughed and told her, "No, no, nothing." She left. I handed out a few more as people walked by and stopped.  Soon, the older lady was back.  She made a strange motion: stuck her tongue out a bit and then made a hand motion I interpreted as saying that she had vomitted.  She then rubbed her tummy. I burst out laughing.  "Are you coming back to tell me that my brownie made you sick?"  She laughed with me and then made the same motions.  I could not imagine what the point was (and was also a wee bit miffed.) We continued to laugh together, until another man walked by and told me she was saying she really liked the brownie and wanted to buy some more.  Talk about me misinterpreting the whole situation.  Right then my car showed up and I quickly made my escape.  How strange my life is sometimes.  

Comments

  1. Ann--So missing your emails! Write! Darlene

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment