Road to Rwanda......Home again, home again...

Written on Aug 5, 2023

 Just want everyone to know that we arrived back home in Rwanda last night at 11 p.m.  It was a good and easy trip....and I can't always say that.  I slept a great deal of the way.  Rick did not, but he was able to stretchout and relax.  Of course when we arrived at our house at 11, the electricity had been turned off.  Good country where we can just go on our phones and pay that way and it was reinstated within about 10 minutes.  Our propane was out, but used up the very last available penny to replace the tank at 8 this morning...and then went to the bank, so we are fine again, now.  The internet cannot be turned back on until Monday, but I am up here at school using their wifi.  I promised myself that I would walk the mile to and from school for the next 2 weeks to work on those US pounds....but I just could not face in the middle of jetlag that walk up hill to get here. I will walk the mile down hill.  It is so tempting not to because I just have to step out my door and hail a mototaxi and for 50 cents a nice gentleman will ferry me on the back of his motorcycle the mile. I will do better tomorrow.  Everything is unpacked and my pantry shelves are restored with the staples from here.  (A huge, huge bag of veggies cost $4.50.) We bought meat in the capital 2 and a half hours from home last night so that we would be supplied for the next few months....thank good ness we could get the electric restored ready to freeze that meat last night. ( I bought 6 pounds of chicken, 6 pounds of hamburger, and 6 pounds of roast all for $44.  Beat that if you can.)

We had a blessed summer.  We were with all 4 children in their homes.  We also journeyed to FL and to MN with some configuration of the family.  Such joy to see MN family after about 4 years.  Rick's sister and husband did all the arranging for a reunion with cousins, etc.  Qutie a few came from the Dakotas and Rick's brother and wife were up from AZ.  

I brought back the English curriculum for grade 9 English.  School does not start until about Aug. 23, and inservice on Aug. 17, but I am so excited about prepping for the new classes that I will easily fill my time and have plenty of rest to get over jetlag.  

Lessons learned.  Sights seen. Loved ones greeted.  Good summer.

Comments