Road to Rwanda---A Touching Christmas Surprise

Written on Dec 13, 2023

 I try to tell a story of some sort every place I live at Christmas.  Last year and this year I am telling the story to the 3 separate chapel services we have for the students. Today was the first chapel and it was for kindergarten through grade 2, maybe about 40 kids. This year I am choosing to pretend that I am a shepherd to whom the angels announce Jesus' birth.  I started as the shepherd sounding very poor and discouraged.  To my surprise one of the little kindergarteners in the front row, stood up and came and gave me a hug! I don't know when I have been more touched.  Tears came to my eyes, and I looked at the teachers who were present who were covering their mouths in equal awe at the tenderness of the student.  As the story progressed and I acted out terror at seeing the angels, 4 more of the kindergarteners stood up and gave me a hug.  The teacher had to motion for his students to stay seated! 

The PE teacher says that when she gives the younger students time to plan their tactics in their games, they plan, but also set aside time to pray about their plans.  Wow!  I am indeed priviliged to teach here. 

Christmas break starts after Friday, December 15.  We fly late Saturday night for 3 weeks  to SC and points North and visit with all the kids and grandkids. Currently, all the grades are done, the room is clean. Tomorrow I have cookies to share with students.  Friday we have locker clean up,  snacks, and watching "Home Alone" with grades 6-9. As much as I love teaching these kids, I am ready for some R and R and seeing the Christmas lights and decorations in the US.  Merry Christmas.

Comments