Road to Rwanda---New School Year

Written on Aug 10, 2024

 So,here we are back in Rwanda ready to begin year 3.  Very much looking forward to seeing the kids on August 21,but first we have a week of orientation, which is always good. I have had a few students write me this summer. That is nice. The former grade 9 students asked that I bring back a package of cookies (or biscuits as they are called here) for them to share as a class. I have 5 packages of chocolate chip cookies for grades 6-10.  They will enjoy them so much, and it takes so little to please. 

I am also anxious to meet the new teacher,   arriving tonight who will share my high school teaching load. I have been praying for 2 years for a teacher who can handle the AP (Advanced Placement) classes these kids deserve, and here she is. God answers. 

We bought meat to bring from Kigali the 2 and a half hours to Musaze last night as we arrived. Usually it is very good, but I am deeply disappointed in the beef. They did not have any hamburger, so I got some beef cubes. I put it through my vegetable chopper machine this morning and voila! hamburger. But as is often the problem here, it is too lean. You have to chew your way through the chili I just made. Who would ever think we would be asking for more fat in our hamburger??? But I got over 18 pounds of chicken, beef, and pork for under $50 to be stocked up for the next few months. I better not complain.

My head is slightly clearer tonight,as opposed to this morning.  It was a grueling 48 hour trip from  SC to Rwanda.   (From Newark to Ethiopia was 14 hours. Yes, one can sit in a seat for that many hours, with only occasionally standing up.)  We also had long lay overs (5-9 hours each) in Newark, New Dehli, and Addis Abbaba. But we made it and now are anticipating God's help to get over jetlag.  Please pray for a productive and grace filled '24-'25 school year.

Comments