Road to Indonesia: Typical Saturday

Written on Jan 22, 2022

 

What do missionaires do on their day off?  Most days I am fully engaged with teaching my courses and come home ready to sit for a bit.  But today is Saturday and although it is full, it is not atypical of my weekends.  In my daily emails to my sister and good friend from Bena who lives in AK, this is what I wrote: 

 "Towards the end of a busy day.  We went to market this morning and got fruits and vegetables, but very few potatoes and onions. How do you have a market with out many potaotes and onions?  That just seems strange but found a few. Also got carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, mangos, papaya, and pineapple, and chicken.  Yumm Then went to the grocery store about 3 hours later.  Got flour, sugar, cookies, cat food (for the cat at school),  and ate at KFC.  Then came home and put my bread into bread machine and slept for an hour +.  Got up to find that tthe machine had not been plugged in right and was still just sitting there. Yikes, because I have signed up to bring rolls tonight to the "empty nesters" group. Hurried and plugged it in and am hoping I can get the rolls done under the wire. I think I can.  Then mixed up a chocolate cake.  Early this morning when I got up I made chicken alfredo, and between market and store, I made mashed potatoess and chicken gravy and greek green beans for us to eat on this week so I don't have to cook every night.  Also talked online with a few students who are sweating through their first research paper (grades 9, 10, 11, 12).  Now just made my bread, which really had not risen enough into rolls, but hoping they will rise enough in the next half hour to bake and be ready to go to the meeting.  God kept telling  me to buy some rolls while I was at the store becasue this was not going to work and I kept ignoring Him.  Now it just has to work.  Sorry I did not listen. (He cares so much about the smallest detail and our lives would surely be less stressed if we just listened to the promptings He consistently sends.) Oh, and then tomorrow we are hurrying home from church to watch the Packer's game and having the director who drives us to church (whose wife is still stuck in Bali on a visa run) and the friend who likes football to lunch immediately after church....and eating the food I have cooked for the week and hoping there is enough left over for the week.  We will only miss about an hour of the game  which is happening US Saturday night and Indonesia Sunday morning. We also need to review our bahasa ( Indonesian) lesson because after a semester off we start bahasa lessons again on Monday.  Fun stuff." 

So our day is not that much different from your day.  Full of people and chores and fun....and hoping we listen to God's careful direction and knowing He even carries us when we don't listen carefully enough.  The first sheet of rolls are in the oven and I have an hour to go....they didn't rise enough but oh well.

Comments