Road to Rwanda----Don't Quit!

Written on Sep 4, 2022

 

Don’t quit!  That was part of the pastor’s message this morning in church.  He was citing Ecclesiastes 3 where 28 different “seasons” we may meet in our lives are listed:  “A time to be born, a time to die, a time to plant, a time to reap.”  But at no point does it say that there is a time to quit.  Wow!  I needed that.  It was only a flashing, passing thought, but Friday afternoon, I thought, “I just want to go home!”  I think I have not really had that thought flash through my mind since about the first few months in Quito about 45 years ago, 1976.  It just is not something I think or feel.  And the thought was born after such inconsequential things. I have broken 3 staplers in 2 weeks.  (I think they were broken when they came to me, but regardless,) I cannot seem to find a working stapler, and I use staplers. Then the hard wooden desk chair that I had for the first week gave me horrible back aches after about 20 minutes of sitting on them.  I substituted a plastic chair as used in the dining hall. That worked better, but then the director found me a nice, used, padded desk chair.  At least it was nice for the first half of the day, but the second half of the day I could not keep it raised up.  As I was sitting there for the seventh or eighth time it had sunk to its lowest point and my chin was about 8 inches above the top of the desk, the thought flashed through my mind, “I just want to go home where I can find a stapler and a desk chair.” It was only a moment, but I was totally shocked that I would think that.  It is not how we live our lives and so just out of character.  I am thankful I could quickly set aside the thought and carry on, but the pastor’s words this morning struck home: “Don’t quit.”

We thought our teaching for Peking University would start about Sept. 17 or so, like usual, but we just got word that classes start Monday.  We have spent the weekend, setting up classes, etc.  It is fine, just a bit earlier than we had anticipated.  Prayers for wisdom and stamina.

We just spent a lovely hour eating  with new neighbors.  They have arrived late to start school. They are from Zambia!! They have taught the last few years in the school about an hour away from the university in the bush where we spent 3 of the happiest years of our lives,  1981-1984.  We had such a wonderful time talking about Zambia.  God is good.

Comments