Road to Rwanda---Insects

Written on May 2, 2023

 We are very blessed to live at 7,000 feet and thus have many fewer insects than if we were at a lower altitude this close to the Equator (3 degrees south latitude).  One of the most deadly insects that we have very few of are malarial and dengue fever mosquitos.  Although our bed is built with 4 high posts for mosquito netting, it is not necessary here.  We also do not have tse-tse flies which cause deadly sleeping sickness and whose presence often helps dictate where game reserves are located. (We saw them in our latest safari trek.)  Nor do we have putsi flies like we did in Zambia.  When they are present any clothes which have been hung outside to dry (which means everything) has to be ironed before use, or the putsi flies burrow under your skin and lay eggs. (Unpleasant.)  We have very clear memories of what ironing does to underpanties and bras. I am astounded at the kids' reaction to insects in the classroom.  If anything flies in, but particularly a bee, many of the students get up and run to the other end of the classroom.  (A bee? but there are no poisonous anything here, so they are much more skittish than I am used to kids being who live and love to tease poisonous snakes and spiders, etc.) The last 2 weeks has been grasshopper season.  I have averaged about 3 a day removed from the classroom by some brave individual, while others cower by the door.  However, I write all this to say I have been the victim of an insect that I have never heard of.  They are called Nairobi flies.  They are about half an inch long and are black and red.  They don't necessarily sting you, but rather have toxins on their body.  People looking at me confirm I must have touched one.  I have a swollen sack extending about an inch below my left eye.  It is red and looks scalded.  The pain is not too bad, but it does feel like it is burned.  The whole area around my eye is swollen enough that the nose piece on my glasses is digging into my nose.  I am sure it will peel from the skin stretching.  It more stings intermittently than anything else. So it is only mildly bothersome.  Last night when the reaction started, I did not know what it was and looking through my left over medicine cabinet, decided to put on Bactracine-Zinc. I put it on again this morning, but then started to question if Bactracine referred to some sort of sulfa meds, which I am allergic to.  I probably did not do myself much good with it.  I should use a hydrocorizone cream, but that is not recommened for anywhere on the face.  I came home and took two Benedryl, so am fading fast and hope that I can get this posted, before my eyes droop too far.

Comments