Chinese Medicine This Afternoon

Written on May 18, 2018

This afternoon the university took all the foreign experts to Beijing Chinese Medicine College. We saw a museum with the history of Chinese medicine, and then they had various “stations” where we could experience some of the processes. What an interesting experience! Chinese medicine has certainly gained more acceptance in Western culture in my lifetime, but many pieces of it still are a little suspect. But they have a much longer history of practicing everything…..including medicine than any Western society does, and have been successful enough to keep a very, very large country alive and healthy. Of course they use Western medicine extensively, but traditional medicine is still an integral part of living here.

I was quite happy to be there today. Yesterday I was in a minor bicycle accident. Hit a motorbike and wiped out. Last night it hurt to move my arm/elbow, but by this morning I could move it without pain. No swelling or heat today, but I can’t put pressure with my fingers yet. They did acupuncture for my arm, and it is exponentially better, although using my left hand brake on my bicycle still is painful.

My hip has also been bothering me. The Chinese herbal medicine that I started in March has been WONDERFUL. It is glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, puerarin extracts, scorpion, deer sinew, vipers, papaya, lucid Ganoderma, liqorice, and oyster. (!) I have had 2 months of absolutely no pain whatsoever. Best in 10 years. However, in the past 2 weeks I have started again to have some slight discomfort in my hip. Today they did mesobotism on my hip. This involves taking a burning incense that looks like a cigar and holding it close to the affected area for 15 minutes or so. It is hot. I received some relief from this.

Finally, a doctor took my pulse, looked at my tongue and said, “Oh, are you having problems with dizziness?” And yes for about 3 weeks I have had about 10-15 seconds of vertigo every time I lay down or turn over. He said, “You have a very slight heart problem, but nothing to worry about. Basically, you are quite healthy.” This was from taking my pulse and looking at my tongue. I agree with him.  Anyway, it was an interesting afternoon with some interventions that would not usually be offered.



Comments