Spiritual Warfare: Today, Here, Now

Written on May 29, 2018

Do you know what spiritual warfare is? I don’t have a succinct definition of it, but it has to do with “wrestling not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Ephesian 6:12).  I can tell some pretty harrowing stories about demonic presences that we have seen in our life. Any church worker is fully aware of what this means, whether they are overseas or in their own country of origin, but sometimes it is just more evident in some places and times. This is one of those times.

First, we want to joyfully announce that as a few hours ago we now have visas to return to Beijing next school year! However, it has been quite an ordeal. Between the process of getting new passports, paperwork /pictures/signatures for our new contract and visa applications, being fined for not reporting the new passport, walking miles three times to Beijing Public Security and US embassy, etc. Finally, there are also physical “attacks”, that are not really directly related to the process, but were happening concurrent to it.  I had a bicycle accident that resulted in an elbow injury that I am only now recovering from. My knee just “gave out” to the point I could not bear weight on it for 36 hours….and then it was reasonably OK. (After 2+ months of absolutely no pain, I assume, because of new Chinese Medicine, I now have both hip and knee niggling bothers.)  And today when we headed out to finally get the actual visas, I twisted my knee again on the top step from our apartment, and just went back inside. Rick went on alone, and 2 hours later came home with a bloody forehead. He had not realized how steep a step was and he faceplanted on the street. He is OK, but will have to heal a bit. (I also was prompted today to look for my PA driver’s license and cannot find it. Where can it go in a little apartment like ours?)

Yes, these things could be because we are old, clumsy, and forgetful, (and those thing are true), but more likely the powers below do not want us here.  We covet your prayers.

Comments