An Angel Named Sam

Written on Feb 7, 2019

We had our bags packed and in the van when we went for my two week post hip surgery appointment. There was work to do in FL involving my parents’ home. I drove to FL. And then was absolutely overwhelmed when we walked into the garage. It was filled chest high with things, with hardly any walkway through it. My folks have been gone for 11 years but friends have been renting and we could leave their things there. But now it is time to rent/sell the house and I need to work on this. Soooooo, I am still very handicapped moving only with a walker. Rick is very able-bodied but  still limited in what one man can do. And then God sends an angel named Sam.

Our youngest daughter, Peace, is in a supported living situation in FL. Her caregiver is a lovely woman, and her fiancé just arrived from Ghana.  A generation ago Sam’s father in Ghana was told by the Lord that he should move to the US. But his wife and children dissuaded him. Afterall there were financial considerations. His father did not leave. However, Sam received the same instruction and he followed through. Sam is a worship leader and singer who hopes to go to Bible school in the US. He is a strong, quiet man. He came for long, long hours of work at our FL house to help us. I sat in a chair and he brought box by box by box by shelf by shelf by shelf of items to me and I told him where the items were to go: save, throw out, sell. (I was uncomfortable telling him to throw out some of the items that needed to go. I know how precious things are in much of Africa. Sam did not question me or cringe, but I felt a certain amount of embarrassment and despair at our collective relationship with material goods.) After the garage was finally organized for our garage sale, Sam then thoroughly cleaned our bathroom, kitchen, and vacuumed all the floors. (He had never run a vacuum before, nor knew which products to choose to clean with, but was a quick learner. ) Sam is an angel sent by God to take care of us in this distressing situation.

We finished the garage sale. We didn’t really make money, but had lots of fun begging people to take the things and very proudly only had 6 medium sizes boxes left to give to Goodwill. The house will be rented to the same organization that cares for Peace. Mom and Dad would be so pleased to have their home used for this purpose. We are now back in SC with Peter, our second son, getting ready to fly back to China on Monday, Feb. 11. I am a bit behind in my recovery. I sat too much and did not walk enough while we cleaned the house and need to wean myself off the walker and on to a cane or crutch to take on the plane, but I am not in pain. PTL ….on many many different levels.

Comments