Road to Indonesia--Eid al-Adha

Written on Jul 20, 2021

 Today is Tabaski as we call it in Senegal, or Eid al-Adha for the rest of the Muslim world.  It is the remembrance of when Abraham was to sacrifice Ishmael. (You might remember the story a little differently.)  Even after 7+ years in Muslim countries, I have so many, many questions, and sometimes not a good source to get the answers.  In Dakar, Senegal for this holiday there were literally thousands of sheep and goats in every median or spare space leading up to this holiday.  They were bought, taken home, fattened a bit, slaughtered, and roasted today.  Then the whole extended family and neighbors and friends came to share the feast.  Now, Indonesia overall is supposedly a much more observant Muslim country, but as I look out my 10th floor hotel room window, I have not seen one single animal.  How can they celebrate Eid al-Adha without a sacrifice....and how do they participate in high rise apartments?  Part of it might be that Jakarta is locked down pretty severely I think because of covid, but I doubt that is the only answer.  I just really do not understand....and wonder who has lived where I have lived that can do the comparisons for me.  

The medical personnel came to our hotel room this morning and did our covid test which should release us from quarantine. I guess we can fly to Papua tomorrow...or the next day.  But we still do not have tickets. No one seems too certain about whether the airport is open or not.  Again, is there no warning? Official stance? etc. etc. As we wait for our travel agent to find out, we have repacked our big suitcases which must be onley 20 kg (44 pounds) to travel domestically.  We got them down to that weight, but I wonder if the rest of this stuff will fit in our carry on's?  Rick says he will finish off his M&M's, but I think the bag is still too big for that. He poured 2 bags together just now, but I doubt that cut down on weight? We are still just sleeping when we feel like it and getting things done as we mumble around.  Not a bad life, but strange.

Comments