Road to Rwanda-----Tables and Games

Written on Aug 23, 2022

 

So, I am lying on the bed in the spare bedroom. It is where Rick and I spend our time at home.  We don’t anticipate much company to sleep in this room, so instead we bought a chair for Rick, and I use the bed and we can keep the itty bitty living room clean.  I am kind of hiding back here right now.  The apartment had no table or chairs.  We have been sitting on the bed or couch to eat most of the time.  But we contracted to have a small 1 meter square table with 2 benches and 2 chairs to be made.  It did not arrive last week because we were at in-service meetings all getting ready for school.  The man came at 5 tonight with the table. He was to arrive at 4 as soon as we walked the mile home from school, but he had trouble finding transport. Finally, someone else arrived with the table and benches and chairs strapped to his bicycle!!!  Really amazing how much they can load on a bicycle.  The carpenter spent the time he was waiting hanging our pictures for us.  (We have 2 Chinese calligraphy hangings, a Papua, Indonesia bark hanging, and a wood cut roaring lion and wood cut mean gorilla head pictures for our walls.  We feel very international.  The only problem is that the table was too too high.  It hit me right in the middle of my breasts.  I would have had trouble eating much less typing sitting at that table.  Therefore, the man called back to his work shop to have equipment brought and now he is working with his metal grinder cutting about 4 inches off each leg.  I am feeling a little badly that I am making him do this extra work, and so I am hiding in the bedroom for a wee bit.

First 2 days of school have been great.  Comfortable with the material for middle school English.  Kids are attentive and respectful and are hard workers.  Not being swamped with work (although I am very, very , very tired. I think my outrageously busy summer and then the move is catching up with me, and my tail is dragging a bit.) I have the 5 high school students for devotions 3 mornings a week.  I am using FB theological memes as discussion starting points.  What fun.  During the last period of the day, we laughed ourselves sick watching an all school activity as the kids played “sitting volleyball”, where the net is very low and you sit and bat the ball. …..We laughed, little realizing that the finale was the staff playing the same game.  What fun.

Comments