Assigning Grades in a University

Written on Mar 12, 2018

What do you do if your university administration says you can only give 20% of your students an “A”?

I find this administrative dictate difficult to deal with. A student deserves the grade that they have earned, not what is dictated by a quota. I think universities all over the world at times require a certain level of “fails” to “cull the herd”, but knowing that it is done, does not make it any easier to comply with. I am not being asked to fail students, but I am being asked to adjust my grading scale. I realize that this probably is a result of grade inflation which has been an issue since the 70’s or before: everyone who shows up for class gets an A. However, anyone who has ever had me for classes (come on you HS students confirm this) knows that the grades I give are earned, but I do not begrudge a good grade for good work.

Anyway, I am now in the throes of grading my 80+ essays for the week. (Fall term it was 120+ essays every week, but the work load is always less in the spring, I am told.) I warned them today in class that I was required to have a quota of only 20% A’s. They did not seem particularly surprised at that, so I guess I should not be either, but it still kind of sticks in my craw. I am adjusting and readjusting and readjusting my scale. I marked everything twice last week to try to be just. I doubt I have arrived at the answer yet. This may seem like a minor issue to many of you, but it is difficult for me. Life as a teacher in China.
as
(We teach at Peking University in Beijing, China. It is the premier university in China and we are teaching English to Ph.D. students, so these are the top of the top.)

Comments

  1. I am thankful that was not the policy at the universities where I taught. I, too, believe that students earn the grade they get.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment