One's English Fluency Is an Attraction

Written on Apr 29, 2018


There are definitely more (extensively more) expats in Beijing than Taian. Out of the 4 million in Taian, we were told there were only 300 expats. But people still like to sit and talk with foreigners here. It is part of the reason for being in China.  Here are the reflections on being overwhelmed a year ago, though. 

Post from a year ago in Taian:

However, there were 10 kids in our apartment for English corner, which is remarkable on a holiday weekend (May Day: Labor Day) One of the new students had been added to my WeChat account earlier this week. (WeChat is the absolute MUST for social media communication in China.) He 'chatted' with me every day since then: what did I teach, why did I come to China, worries about taking his English exam, worries about his English inadequacies, excitement about meeting native English speakers and using English in a group, etc. etc. etc. At times I felt a little overwhelmed about being able to keep up with his barrage. I was also accosted by another student this week who was obviously very needy and who came to my office and talked a long time. I tend to keep some pretty firm boundaries for situations like this, but I also know THIS is the main reason we are here in China. We continue to pray for insight.


Comments