English Essays.....LOL

Written on Oct 30, 2018
I am in the midst of checking essays. Love this. It truly is priceless. The topic is "What do you look for in a marriage partner?" The point is to get them to write and correct English. It does not matter what topics I assign, so I might as well assign something useful to reflect on.

It brings to mind some essays from last year that I posted on FB:

"The meaning of life is just like frog floating in the air. When wind coming, it disappears." Frog?

Also one of my friends here was warning us about encouraging the use of the thesaurus to find synonyms that might not fit. She had a student write, "When I first saw her, I felt it in my aorta."

An older man wrote: "Childhood, formed by one after another of the amusing things, is a tune that haunts around my heart, and is an erudite book full of life philosophy, trivial but memorable."

Further in the essay, the same man describes falling off his bike: "So it rushed out, and I fell down, utterly routed and uncollected. I just showed my surrender with emotional flooding to my brother. My good-tempered brother approached, face darkling. But he didn't comfort me as always. 'There are only creatures," he just said, 'who can surmount the pyramids--the eagle and the snail. You know the reason. Do one thing at a time, and do well. Come on!' Having tumbled time and again, I mastered the skills and rode it, unconstrained and delighted."

Then there are the proverbs that have been quoted to me today, and I really am struggling with what they might mean:

"A thousand Hamlets in a thousand eyes."

“A hundred to mend altogether pillow sleep.” 

And finally, there are today's essays:

"Time we share in our life is limited, if he spares his own time to his own things too much, even neglects what you need, so how should he comfort and persist you when you need especially you are in low."

“I don’t require her that beautiful or sexy, because if so, she will have a lot of suitors and I can rarely marry her to some extent. But at least, I hope she has a normal-looking face. Thus, I won’t be in a bad mood every day.”

Rolling on the floor.

Comments