Road to Indonesia---Live to Peking University

Written on Apr 5, 2021

 


Hello Dr.Ann,

I saw your reply saying "This MUST be double spaced. Also the periods must be aligned in the outline. Change and resubmit." and "Fov, this is still single spaced and I will not accept it if it is single spaced."
I am sorry i think i may not really know what "double spaced" really means. Does it means it needs 2 spaces between each words in the whole essay?
like this: "this  sentence  is  in  double  spaced."
And, also i am not very clear about "periods aligned in the outline". Does it means the point '.' in outline should be in the same column?

"Introduction

I.   Family

II. Childhood

III. Education

IV. Acceptance to PKU Graduate School

Conclusion"

or

"Introduction

  I.   Family

 II. Childhood

III. Education

IV. Acceptance to PKU Graduate School

Conclusion"


Thanks!

Fov
Yang Yunfan(杨韵帆)
April 4 2021"

I just thought you might like to see one of the emails I just got from a student. It highlights how hard it is for the students to respond when the language is such a barrier.  Usually they do understand "double spaced" and "period" ( I laughed when I read " Does it means the point '.' in outline should be in the same column?"  If you do not know what a period is, well....In the student's defence even Brits often call it a "full stop" rather than a "period", but still interesting.  

Today I am going to do my first "live" (online) talk with the Peking University students. For the past year all of my communication has been with recorded lectures on to power points, emails, and comments on their essays.  But I am now almost in the same time zone, so decided I would try it. I will use Wechat on my phone (which is no longer a phone really, just connected to the internet, but it is the only device with wechat on it).  I have volunteers in each of my 4 classes who will bring a laptop and attach it to the projector and then call me on Wechat.  Then I will answer the students' questions and set them up to do peer review of first big essy.  I am not doing lectures live like this.  No reason to, with my recordings. Oh, and don't forget we are doing this in chinglish which is always fun. 

Comments