Internet/Bike Squeaking/Bike Collision/Bike Tire

Written on Sep 1, 2018

Well, we have had less frustrating days. It is September 1. We did not keep track for when our internet payment would come due, and I guess, today is the day. We were confused why the internet was not working this morning, but finally were able to log on to our account and even if it were in Chinese it obviously had a 0 kwai (one of the Mandarin words for dollar) balance. We were up early with jet lag, so waited from 5 a.m. until 6 a.m. and then went down to the reception area of our building. They said come back at 8. When I went back I paid for 3 months. (I certainly can not complain about the internet. It is reasonably fast and only $7 US per month). But there was confusion as to whether we were getting the University discount, or the housing prices where we live. I really don’t know which one it ended up being, but that took 2 more trips to the reception and an IT man coming to the house before it was settled.  (As I said, though, I still don’t know which section we fall in.)

We then biked with other team members the mile to school and renewed our money on our identification cards so that we can use the cafeterias, etc. on campus. Since we were on the other end of campus, Rick also took his bike over to the bike repair man so he could oil the mechanisms for him. We have teased that Rick announces his arrival on this bike with the sounds of a dying goose. The Pam vegetable oil spray we had used on it earlier had allowed us to move, but not quietly.  It is better, but still not completely silent.

We then went out to lunch with our team members and as we were biking home I hit a man. Yes, I was biking the wrong way in the biking lane ( a very, very common occurrence), but the man was running across the lane to get to the bus and ran right in front of me. I had come to a complete stop, so just fell over onto the side walk and got a very slightly skinned knee on the bad hip side, but I could have done without the hassle.

Five minutes later as we were about a block down the road, we all heard a very loud POP. It was Rick’s bike tire. He is just back now from walking it the couple miles to the bike repair man. He will have to go back in a couple hours to get it. The day is not done. I hope it gets better from here.

Comments