Road to Indonesia--Hot Water and Umbrellas

Written on Feb 3, 2021

 I just took my first shower using hot water since we arrived in Indonesia, Dec. 31.  One often takes many showers a day, if you do not have AC, and all of my showers have been using the cold water tap.....which really is not what you would call "cold".  Well, the weather is moderating slightly, and maybe we are getting acclamated. A week or two ago Rick woke in the night and said he was cold.  I said, "You are not cold!" (I am sure you can hear the tone of voice.) But now I feel slightly chilled at night as well , and we are turnng down the big overhead fan, and put two bedspreads on the bed for warmth. (No quilts available.) It is slightly windy (sometimes very much more than slightly, but mostly only slightly.)   That has helped. 

It has also been very, very rainy the past few days. Wednesday morning, it was pouring when it came time to walk to school. I purposefully had not brought an umbrella to Indonesia.  It seemed like taking coals to Newcastle to take an umbrella to the tropics. And there are plenty here, but we just had not stopped to buy any.  Well, I considered wearing my sweatshirt type jacket to school as some protection against the rain, but decided if I did that, I would arrive at school just as wet under the jacket from sweat as I would just walking in the rain. Finally, Rick helped me cut up a big garbage bag to wear as a poncho as well as a smaller one for my head. I was glad it was early enough morning that I did not see anyone, because I think I was quite a sight. This morning it was raining again, but yesterday we bought 2 umbrellas and so were fine.  

Comments