Road to Indonesia---Mountain out my window

Written on Feb 27, 2021

 


At last a picture!!!  New people who just moved into the apartment below us posted this picture and I stole it. Every morning walking to school, this is what I look at. The white in the middle is a waterfalls. It waxes and wanes with the rain.  Lately it has been pretty full and we can predict what it will look like in the morning after listening to the hours of  heavy rain in the night.  If you expanded the picture out you would see the top of mountain.  Kids have told me if I climbed to the top and climbed a tree I could see the Pacific Ocean. (But the director advised me I would never make it to the top myself.) There is a huge mud slide coming about halfway down. That happened 2 years ago in March.  The students talk about it alot because there were many deaths and much loss of property as a result of the mud slide. It basically missed the school, but devasted the town of Sentani.  As the anniversary approaches and we again face a season of very heavy rain,  apprehensions are high.  I asked if the damming of streams that caused the floods has been fixed. No one I have talked to knows. Often the mountain is obscured by clouds.  Sometimes they are wispy, feathery things that float past, but there are definitely times when the entire mountain is obscured and you have no idea it is even there, and yet in reality is very, very close. I heard the school principal talk about that obscurity the other day in answer to a question. Sometimes we do not feel God's presence. Just like we at times cannot see this very overwhleming mountain out our window.  But the thought never crosses our minds that the mountain has disappeared into the Pacific Ocean. We know it is still there. And so it is with God.

Comments