Road to Indonesia---Motorscooter 2

Written on Feb 20, 2021

 A friend told me where 2 stores were that might have some dresses that would work for me, so I made Rick take me downtown again on the motorscooter. I was less jittery this time, partially because I finally slid back far enough on the seat and was able to get my feet into the "stirrups".  More support.  The two shops were closed.  I think it was nap time. But we went on to the "mall".   This is a euphemisim. There was a clothing store there. As soon as we went in I knew it was mainly Muslim wear.  Interesting, I have never looked more closely.  There are many robe like outer wear that are open down the front with long sleeves??? The head coverings come in more styles than I have ever noticed. I finally found what I was looking for: lightweight flowing cotton dresses. I bought 2. They were only about $5 each.  However, I also know completely that really they are Muslim nightwear.  Do you think people will notice I am wearing my nightgown? As I left I noticed the name of the store: Berka.  

We then put the dresses into the storage compartment under the seat of the motor scooter and went into the "mall" to buy pizza. As we were leaving one of the guards at the door who had taken our temperature when we entered approached us.  I have no idea what he said, but he handed our scooter keys to us.  We had left the keys in the scooter!!! It speaks volumes about wonderful Indonesia that no one stole the scooter, but rather turned the keys into the guard. But how did he know it was our scooter? I am fairly confident that we were the only expats in the area, but why are we the ones the guard approached to return the keys?  Food for thought as to what assumptions are made about us. (No room in the storage compartment for the left over pizza, so I sat on the box all the way home. I think it survived.)

Have 7 people coming for supper tomorrow (Sunday) night. Slowly figuring out what I can and cannot make here. I am making scalloped potatoes with some spam kind of meat in it and a strange cheese that gets hot, but never, ever melts, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans with tomatoes, pieces of pork in a soya/brown sugar/ketchup sauce, and some strange bread I made.  I also made a Texas Sheet Cake. I assumed I could make the powdered sugar like I had last week, but I guess I burned out my blender making the powdered sugar then. Rick finally rescued me by using his coffee bean grinder. And since the man said he had a sweet tooth I also made a lemon pudding cake. 

Comments