Road to Here-----My sister is with Jesus

Written on Nov 15, 2022

 My sister died this morning.  I sat by her side from Saturday night until Tuesday morning.  I pulled this lovely recliner over parallel to her. I could reach out and hold her hand, while I graded online essays, while I talked, while I slept.  It comforted me. I pray it comforted her as well.  She opened her eyes when I arrived Saturday night. That is about the only indication I had that she knew I was there.  There was no more communication with her.  She was peaceful and resting these 2+ days, and we just were together.  There were visitors and time reminiscing and prayers and nurses and repositioning and medicine, but most of the time there was just her and me and sitting quietly.   I worked online and slept and thought and prayed.  She was in a lovely hospice house where she had been for a little over a week, and they had gotten to know her when she was her loving, warm, compassionate self and the staff mentioned how much they appreciated her.  That meant a lot.  I felt supported. Rick was here too.  As I slept in the recliner, he slept on a fold out couch, close to us.  Her kids and grandkids had said their goodbye's by Sunday night, and my presences with her let them go take care of the kids and start the grieving process. I am glad that I could be of support that way.  They knew as well that I was very happy just being alone with her.  We will fly to Massachusetts to be with Paul, Purity, and Peace for Thanksgiving before we fly back on Nov. 28.  I have asked for them not to have the funeral until after I have left here on Saturday.  The people here knew her and her family.  They are wonderful people, but they are not my support group. I do not need to be told how wonderful she was. I know that.  I would rather just grieve privately.  Many may not understand my request, but some will.  Stoic Minnesotan, you know.  My brother preceeded her by 4 days.  His funeral is on Thursday and I will try to communicate via zoom during that time, but if I don't, it will be OK as well.  I again know him for the exceptional man he was.  His family has each other.  I do appreciate your prayers.  I have a few days here in her home with Rick.  We will rest, communicate with her children, grade papers. I do appreciate your prayers. 

Comments